Last Train Home is a real-time strategy game which follows the story of Czechoslovakian Legion during the Russian Civil War in 1918-1919. I worked on the game since pre-production till the final release in November 2023.
My initial work focused on level concepting alongside creation of placeholder models, wishlists and historical research. I designed the railway network from Moscow to Vladivostok and created the concept of all local area maps using World Creator and GIS data.
- Level Design – from concept to final version, object placement, terrain sculpting and painting, iterating based on the feedback
- Level Script – mission flow, patrols, events, in game cutscenes
- Placeholders – creation of placeholder models using Blender
- Research – historical and factual research, creation of wishlists
- World Design – railway network, placement of points of interest, vegetation variety for bioms, GIS data
- Train View – one of the eight train views in the game
- Local Area View – providing layout, concept and necessary data to art department
- … and of course, playtesting and giving feedback
Later in the development, I decided to help our Art department and took under my responsibility one of the eight Train View maps in the game. The map spans from Novonikolaevsk to Nizhneudinsk and represents 800km large terrain.
- Tundra Ambush
- Train View from Novonikolaevsk to Nizhneudinsk